// February 21, 2013
2013 ENTRY-LEVEL CORRECTION OFFICER EXAMINATION COURSE PREPARATION MATERIALS ARE NOW AVAILABLE
The Entry-Level Correction Officer Examination is being held on April 13, 2013 in Rockland County and several other jurisdictions in New York State. Police Tutorial Service, Inc. (P.T.S.) has received numerous inquiries about whether P.T.S. can help registered test takers prepare for this examination. The answer is YES!
The official civil service test guide for the Entry-Level Correction Officer Examination identifes four (4) subject areas that will be on this test:
1. OBSERVING AND RECALLING FACTS AND INFORMATION: These questions are designed to test how well the candidates can observe and recall information presented. The candidates will be presented with information describing or depicting prison scenes or other facts. They will have a short time to memorize the information before it is collected by the monitor. They will then be asked to recall specific details.
2. APPLYING WRITTEN INFORMATION IN A CORRECTIONAL SERVICES SETTING: These questions are designed to evaluate the candidates’ ability to read, interpret and apply rules, regulations, directives, written narratives and other related material. The candidates are required to read a set of information, and to appropriately apply the information to situations similar to those typically experienced in a correctional services setting. All the information needed to answer the questions asked concerning the situations presented is contained in the rules, regulations, etc. which are cited.
3. PREPARING WRITTEN MATERIAL: These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order and then asked to choose from four suggestions the best order for the sentences.
4. UNDERSTANDING AND INTERPRETING WRITTEN MATERIAL: These questions test how well you comprehend written material. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. All the information required to answer the questions will be presented in the selections; you will not be required to have any special knowledge relating to the subject areas of the Students taking the Police Tutorial Service 2013 Chief/Deputy Chief Course are from:
These four (4) subject matter areas are almost identical to the subject matter areas that are on the statewide Entry-Level Police Officer Examination. The only difference being that the Correction Officer Examination tests application of written material in a correctional services setting instead of the application of written material in a police setting. Because neither examination is content based (unlike promotional examinations), there is absolutely no difference in how students should prepare for these examinations.
Based upon the requests we have received and our review of the official civil service examination announcments and test guide, P.T.S. is now offering its modified Police Officer Entrance Course materials to students taking the upcoming Entry-Level Correction Officer Examination.
The complete set of materials (three (3) booklets containing written course materials that include the P.T.S. Techniques to Answering Civil Service Examination Questions publication, full length memory exercises, reading comprehension and writing application practice questions with explanations to the answers and mini-quizzes and complete practice examinations) will be mailed to you upon receipt of your payment of $85 (discounted from $100). Currently, the course is not available online and will be delivered to you via regular mail. To order the course material, please email email@example.com or go to the contact page on the policetutorialservice.com website. You can also call the office at (914) 723-0350 to place your order. We now accept credit cards.
GO WITH THE BEST – GO WITH P.T.S.!
Good luck to all of you!
George Mullins and the P.T.S. Staff
* Police Training Specialists Since 1968 *
View all Announcements